Cooking with Cannabis: CBD Apple Pie Overnight Oats
Bring on the hemp! I’m noticing more hemp-derived CBD (cannabidiol) coffees, teas, and granola bars hitting the market each month. The rise in popularity of pairing CBD and breakfast items is likely due to the fact many adults notice health benefits that come with using CBD in the morning.
If you’re curious about combining CBD with breakfast, these Apple Pie Overnight Oats with hemp hearts rank high on one of the most convenient, and delicious, ways to enjoy cannabis in the morning.
Adding CBD to overnight oats offers several benefits, some of which can be noticed with a single dose.
Boost the terpene content and medical benefits of this breakfast by adding a pinch of citrus zest to each serving. The essential oils found in citrus rinds are rich in terpenes that can be mood-boosting and calming like limonene, linalool, valencene and terpineol.
Editor’s Note: The following recipe is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen.
CBD Overnight Oats Recipe
- (4) 16 oz. glass containers or jars with lids
- (4) individual servings
CBD Hemp Seed Cinnamon Sugar Topping: (enough for 4 servings)
- 60-200 mg CBD dominant, alcohol-based tincture (15-50 mg per serving, depending on personal dosing requirements)
- 2 T. white sugar
- 4 t. hemp seed hearts
- 1 t. cinnamon
Tip: If you aren’t familiar with using CBD, start with 5-10 mg and work your way up. As always, consult your physician before incorporating cannabis into your routine.
Apple Pie Topping: (enough for 4 servings)
- 3 medium apples
- 2 T. orange or apple juice
- 2 T. fruit jam (cranberry, lingonberry, orange or other)
- 1 T. vegan butter
- 1 T. water
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1/8 t. ginger
- 1/8 t. cinnamon
Oats: (per individual container)
- ½ c. oat milk
- ½ c. rolled oats
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. flax seeds, ground
- pinch orange or lemon zest
48 hours beforehand prep the cannabis sugar. Doing this in advance will allow the alcohol in the tincture time to evaporate, leaving you with a dry sugar to work with for the CBD Hemp Seed Cinnamon Sugar Topping.
- Combine your desired dose of alcohol-based tincture and sugar in a bowl
- Stir the sugar-tincture mixture until thoroughly combined
- The consistency will remind you of wet sand
- Leave the cannabis sugar uncovered (and labeled) on the counter to allow the alcohol to evaporate
- After 12-24 hours, stir the sugar mixture again to allow more alcohol to evaporate
When the sugar is ready, it’s time to prep the overnight oats.
- Prep oats in individual containers by combining the indicated amount of oat milk, oats, maple syrup, ground flax seeds, and orange zest in each container
- Place lids on containers and shake until ingredients are combined, set aside
- Finish preparing the cinnamon sugar topping by adding cinnamon and hemp seed hearts to the cannabis-infused sugar, set aside
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch, orange juice, and water until the cornstarch has been incorporated, set aside
- Peel and dice apples
- On the stovetop, place a pan over medium heat; add butter, apples, and maple syrup
- Cover ingredients in the pan with a lid, and simmer on medium to medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking
- Add the jam, ginger, cinnamon, and cornstarch mixture to the pan, stirring to combine
- Allow apples to simmer for 5 more minutes until a thicker pie filling-like consistency has been reached
- Remove the lids from the prepped oats you had set to the side, and add a quarter of the apple pie filling to each container
- Divide the cinnamon sugar topping, adding a fourth of the CBD mixture to each container
- Place lids and labels (contains: CBD) on containers and store in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours and up to 4 days
Enjoyed cold, these oats are reminiscent of an apple pie and ice cream combo. They can be enjoyed straight out of the refrigerator or heated in the microwave for approximately 1 minute, 15 seconds.
Now you have an easy and delicious way to enjoy your daily dose of CBD, and a breakfast that can be pre-made at the beginning of the week with your performance in mind.
Aah, if only everything were this easy…
Kathryn Cannon is an experienced Plant Medicine Integration Specialist, Cannabis Coach, and community herbalist. She founded Terra Uma LLC to empower clients to optimize performance, mental health, and overall wellness with cannabis, and other plants and fungi. Kathryn is also the founder of a lifestyle medicine center and urban farm in Portland, Oregon, and a cannabis collective and coaching practice in Washington, DC.
This recipe was not written or edited by Hearst. The authors are solely responsible for the content.