Best CBD for Knee Pain
Hearst Newspapers participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may earn a commission when you purchase links in this content. Learn more about curated content.
Please consult your doctor before starting any new supplement to see it is right for you.
If you’ve ever suffered or currently suffer from knee and joint pain – you’re far from being alone. In fact, it’s estimated that about one in four Americans deal with joint pain. That’s a whopping 25 percent, which adds up to over 80 million people living in the U.S. that deal with joint pain, including knee pain and inflammation.
Knee pain can be caused by many things: it may be the result of an injury, like a ruptured ligament or torn cartilage. In other cases, knee pain may be due to medical conditions – like arthritis, gout, and infections.
Sometimes, it’s as easy as taking a break, wearing a knee brace, and doing physical therapy when it comes to injury. When it comes to medical conditions though, the road to recovery or coming to terms with dealing with symptoms can be a long and winding one.
When it comes to conditions like arthritis and gout, almost 50% of people who suffer are unable to live normal lives. Physically limiting and chronic pain can affect the way people live their day-to-day lives, whether it comes to work, hobbies, or even just regular housework.
While your best bet is always to talk to a medical professional about knee and joint pain, CBD may lend a helping hand when dealing with it. Cannabidiol is a generally non-psychoactive compound of cannabis that has helped many people overcome pain, deal with symptoms, and help them live more fulfilling lives.
If you’re concerned about the legality of CBD, no need to worry. Since the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp-derived cannabinoid products are federally legal, which means you can get CBD products no matter where you are (even delivered to your front door).
Rest assured, hemp-derived CBD containing less than 0.3% of THC is legal everywhere (although some states may require a medical license). Check out the legal conditions of CBD in your state here.
In this article, we’ll explore how CBD may be beneficial, as well as provide a roundup of some of our favorite CBD products that may help target knee and joint pain.
Does CBD Work for Inflammation?
Cannabis has been used for millennia, considered ancestral medicine by cultures around the world. In fact, some accounts claim that the use of this plant dates back at least 6,000 years. To put it into context, this was when the Bronze Age was beginning – meaning humans were barely writing, agriculture was spreading across Europe, and the earliest found numerals were being scribed into Egyptian culture.
In a 2016 study, scientists looked at the effects of CBD on rats with joint inflammation. Promising results found that topical CBD gel reduced joint swelling and pain in the rats, with no significant side effects. A more recent 2017 review found that the possible anti-inflammatory effects of CBD may help people dealing with:
- General and chronic pain
- Inflammatory conditions
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Cardiovascular diseases
Is CBD Oil Good for Knee Pain?
Chronic knee pain can be debilitating, especially when it’s chronic and never-ending. It causes discomfort and can affect your daily life, changing the way you interact with those around you, yourself, and the world. There are many treatments available, and sometimes, the less conventional ones (like the potential benefits of CBD) might just do the trick.
There are many different things that cause chronic knee pain. Injuries, regular daily wear-and-tear, and diseases like arthritis and gout can make knee pain unbearable. Here are some possible reasons you might suffer from knee pain:
- Traumatic injury
- Degenerative conditions
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Being overweight may put more strain on knee joints
Here are some symptoms you may expect when dealing with knee pain:
- Decreased mobility
While CBD is still being studied, it’s widely used by people who deal with pain. Decreasing inflammation is thought by many experts to be the leading cause of relief, as endocannabinoid receptors can help reduce inflammation and bring comfort.
You may experience moderate pain relief and less inflammation when using CBD products, although it’s always smart to talk to a medical professional about options when it comes to chronic pain.
What do the Studies Say About CBD and Joint Pain?
While CBD is still currently being studied to understand its full effects and benefits, exciting results show that cannabinol may be a promising approach to dealing with pain and inflammation in the joints, most notably in patients with arthritis.
However, one of the largest reviews that dug deep into the effects of CBD and pain says there is “substantial evidence that cannabis is an effective treatment for chronic pain in adults”. Another study showed improvements in pain, physical function, and sleep quality in 44 percent of people participating.
While science is still catching up, anecdotal evidence and testimonials speak wonders of CBD for knee and other chronic pain. Whether in capsule, liquid, topical, or edible form, CBD has helped many people feel better and live more fulfilling lives.
Now that we’ve covered the science of it, let’s get into some products that may help you deal with symptoms of knee and joint pain.
Best CBD Cream for Knee Pain
If you’re on the lookout for the best CBD cream for knee pain, FOCL relief cream has got your back (or knee, in this case).
This topical cream can quickly zap out aches and pains with powerful dosages that range from 1000mg to 3000mg, packed with premium CBD and other powerful and beneficial botanicals.
With CBD and camphor oil, you’ll be using two ingredients that can soothe aches and recover sore muscles in no time. And if you want to reduce inflammation, repair, and nourish, you’ve got organic aloe and arnica on your side. Finally, here’s the coolest part (literally): with menthol, eucalyptus, and wintergreen oil, you’ll feel a cooling sensation that sets in quickly and allows you to experience rapid relief.
Plus, it’s so easy to use: just clean the area, rub in the cream 3-4 times a day, wash your hands and allow the soothing sensations to settle in so you can get on with your life feeling better.
Best CBD Gummies for Knee Pain
Gummies can be a great way to consume CBD, not only because they’re straightforward and easy to use, but also because they make it seem like more of a treat than a chore. For the best CBD gummies for knee pain, take a look at BATCH CBD Gummies.
These gummies are proudly crafted in Wisconsin and give you a whopping 25mg of CBD per gummy that’ll let you have a tasty experience while experiencing the benefits of pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, you’ll love the assortment of blueberry, raspberry, and mango flavors that are juice and all-natural.
Best CBD Oil for Knee Pain
Another great way to get your daily dose of soothing CBD is by using CBD oil. One of the best out there has to be Wild Theory Full Spectrum CBD Oil. With 750ml of full-spectrum CBD oil that can easily be placed under your tongue or added to your drink of choice, you’ll enjoy this daily supplement that may help boost health and bring balance to your mind, mood, and body.
This CBD oil is specially crafted to assist with everyday stress and aid with aches and pains throughout the body. It can be used to support your body after a workout and is filled with antioxidants and essential nutrients, and is derived from pure, organic, and locally-grown hemp. The earthy and herbal flavor will have you feeling connected to Mother Nature.
Other Great CBD Products to Help with Knee Pain
Dragon Hemp Relief is a tincture that is made for those looking to reduce pain and inflammation when other supporting treatments aren’t doing it all. This practitioner-formulated elixir is made to treat pain and discomfort that can be caused by injury, inflammation, or overexertion. Each 40mg dose of premium, cold-extracted, and full-spectrum CBD is also blended with Chinese herbs that can help promote blood circulation, like corydalis, turmeric, frankincense, and myrrh (hey, if it worked for Jesus, why wouldn’t it for you?).
Botany Farms is known for having some of the most effective and high-quality products out there, and their Live Resin CBD + THC Tincture is no exception. It’s designed to allow you to enjoy the full benefits of full-spectrum CBD which is supported with just a tinge of naturally-occurring THC (all legal under the 2018 Farm Bill, of course). Botany Farms uses the hybrid strain Sour Space Candy that’s packed with a high terpene and cannabinoid content and is flash-frozen, which can help conserve all that soothing goodness. Pick between citrus, sour apple, and earth flavors to please your palette.
CBD can often be blended with other botanicals to create a potentially more potent effect, as is the case with Evn CBD Curcumin Capsules. We’ve already talked about the potential anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving benefits of CBD, so let’s get into why these capsules combine perfectly with curcumin. Curcumin has been shown in some studies to help manage oxidative and inflammatory conditions, metabolic syndromes, arthritis, anxiety, and management of muscle soreness and recovery. You’ll get 25mg of CBD and another 250mg of curcumin per capsule, letting you find quick and rapid relief.
When dealing with knee and joint pain, self-care is essential and vital. By using products like BATCH CBD Cream, you allow yourself the experience of relief after a long day (or a busy morning). This melt-into-skin formula is packed with CBD, aloe vera, lavender oil, and peppermint oil, which will not only give your body relief but allow your nose to enjoy the entire aromatic experience. If you want some extra cold and heightened sensations, try putting it in the fridge for an hour before applying it to the problem areas.
We’re back with FOCL. Since the relief cream is so awesome, it should come as no surprise that FOCL CBD drops are, too. You’ll enjoy a dose of full-spectrum CBD with every dropper, with extracts that include the entire hemp plant for optimal effect. Not only may your aches and pains melt away, but you may also feel more focused, get a better night’s sleep, and help deal with stress. Pick between mint, natural, and orange cream flavors to delight your taste buds, too.
If you already take medication or vitamins daily, adding soft gels can be an easy way to incorporate CBD into your routine. Check out Wild Theory Full Spectrum CBD Softgels that deliver a precise 10mg of full-spectrum CBD per capsule that helps support good health and energy, all while giving you relief from knee and joint pain.
CBD topicals are a great way to rejuvenate tired muscles, ease pain, speed recovery, and help soothe the body. All of this is a given when you try Evn CBD Salve. This salve has 500mg broad spectrum CBD that is packed with beneficial terpenes and cannabinoids, designed to help you feel better in the blink of an eye. The added eucalyptus and lavender oils will transport you into a spa vibe. Even if you’re just chilling out on the couch give EVN CBD a try.
If you’re into the whole poetry thing, Fire and Ice might remind you of the poet Robert Frost. You can find your own hot and cold with BATCH CBD Balm: Fire & Ice. For relief you can feel, this balm promises to deliver warming and cooling relief thanks to camphor and menthol, along with 1250mg of full spectrum CBD for an extra boost of relief.
Evn keeps popping up, and that’s because their products are just that good. For cooling and relieving sensations that can soothe any aches or pains, try out Evn CBD Cream with Menthol. This rub-in cream nourishes dry skin while soothing and calming sore and tight muscles, using menthol to cool down the area and designed to promote recovery and relaxation for anyone and everyone.
Boston Hemp Inc
Boston might soothe the soul with their world-famous baked beans, but Boston Hemp Inc CBD Full-Spectrum Cream with Menthol is designed to soothe and cool the body. For a mix of both, use this cream and then enjoy some baked beans (no need to pick just one). This high-quality CBD cream is incredibly smooth and light, allowing you to soothe the body without a greasy feeling. The lotion is specially formulated to help with joint pain, arthritis, and muscle aches. For sensitive skin, this cream has no added perfumes and just a slight menthol smell.
Reliva CBD Cream is their best-selling product, which comes as no surprise. For the many people dealing with temporary and chronic pain, this CBD-infused topical cream is designed to easily zap out discomfort with 300mg of zero-THC CBD, all while delivering a tingling and cooling sensation that will have you feeling better than ever.
Penguin CBD Cream is high-potency, packed with terpenes, and formulated to care for your skin, inside and out. As soon as you slather it on, you may start feeling a cooling sensation and immediate relief that will have you ready to face the day or get a good night’s sleep. Customers love the pleasant peppermint and lavender scent, which just adds to the spa-like experience that can quickly eliminate discomfort.
The Dragon Hemp Relief line has another great product: CBD Recovery Capsules. When topicals alone won’t do the trick, this 25mg of CBD per capsule might serve as extra support. It’s formulated by practitioners who look for the best in Chinese botanicals and herbs, along with premium CBD isolate that can help reduce pain, serve as an anti-inflammatory, and promote blood circulation.
Sometimes, getting your hands dirty or greasy just seems like too much of a hassle. Here’s the solution: Enjoy Hemp Full-Spectrum CBD Roll On for SOOTHE. The high-potency heat roll-on is packed with 2000mg of 100% organic, Oregon-grown, and full-spectrum CBD that can work wonders when mixed with botanicals like eucalyptus, chamomile, and menthol for quick relief and a heating and cooling sensation.
For quick relief for any aches and pains in the muscles and joints, try out Charlotte’s Web CBD Balm Stick. This product promises to be especially effective for larger problem areas like the thighs, stomach, or back. Formulated with CBD, menthol, peppermint oil, turmeric oil, and ginger oil, this blend of botanicals and cannabinoids is designed to have you feeling relief quickly and being able to carry on with business as usual.
For a truly spa-like experience that nourishes dry and cracked skin while revitalizing muscles and joints with anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving benefits, try out Joy Organics Organic CBD Salve. This salve has been medically-reviewed so you know it might just be a game-changer when it comes to knee and joint pain you might be experiencing.
Last, but definitely not least, let us delve into TheraOne CBD Revive Body Balm Jar. This body balm is designed to soothe muscles and joints from a bad case of tech neck, a long night in heels, muscle strain from a workout, or just general joint and muscle pain. Soothing discomfort with a potent 300mg of CBD and packed with turmeric, menthol, and refined Shea butter, this Colorado-created balm is the skincare of CBD pain relief.
How to Live Life and Manage Chronic Pain
With so many millions of people dealing with chronic pain all across the country (not to mention the world), we’ve got some tips on how to deal with pain when it seems to be taking over your life or is messing with your everyday routine. These might not cure pain, but they can help you manage it and live a more fulfilling life.
- Meditation and deep breathing can help your body relax, which ultimately results in easing pain and discomfort. Tension and tightness in the muscles are common, and when you’re already dealing with pain, this can just make it worse. There are many ways to meditate and breathe, but here’s one of the simplest: find a peaceful place, a comfortable body position, and try to relax the mind. Put one hand over your chest and another over your stomach. Breathe in slowly through your nose, feeling your chest and abdomen expand fully. Hold in for three seconds, and slowly release. When in doubt, look for local yoga or meditation classes.
- Try reducing stress in your life, although this is much easier said than done. Negative thoughts and feelings can take over your body and mind, increasing your body’s sensitivity to pain. By learning how to manage stress, you might diminish pain and find relief. Try listening to calming music, trying out guided imagery, finding a relaxing hobby, or just letting your mind immerse itself in your favorite movie or TV show.
- Depending on the cause of your pain, you might not be able to do all kinds of exercise. However, everyone can be active. By finding doctor-approved activities that promote physical activity, you can boost chronic pain relief with the endorphins that are released by getting your body moving. Plus, exercise can strengthen muscles, keep your weight healthy, reduce heart disease, and help control blood levels.
- We all like to indulge in some drinks here and there, and that’s fine. However, cutting back on alcohol consumption may help you get a better night’s sleep, which in turn may help you deal with symptoms of pain and wake up rejuvenated and refreshed.
- There’s no shame in needing help: in fact, it’s one of the best things you can do! If you’re living with chronic pain, joining an in-person or virtual support group can help you meet people that understand you more than other people might. You can benefit from their experiences, and they can certainly benefit from yours. If support groups aren’t your thing, talking to a mental health professional can be helpful, too. Remember: asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness, but a display of strength.
- Track your pain level and activities daily so your medical professional can better help find ways for you to feel better. At the end of the day, write down what you did that day and rate your pain on a scale of 1-10.
- Give yourself a break. Sometimes, all you need is a day of relaxation and peace, whatever that looks like for you. If a spa day, a massage, and a pedicure will do it, go for that. If a few hours at the seaside will have you feeling content, go for it. Whatever makes your heart sing, do that.
- Maintaining a healthy diet is essential for your health. Talking to a nutritionist about your symptoms and getting a professional opinion about how and what to eat can help aid the digestive process, reduce the risk of heart disease, keep your weight under control, and improve blood sugar levels.
- Try to distract yourself from the pain. Sometimes, there’s no way around it. Other times, you may be able to find things to do that you love – hanging out with friends and family, going for a joyride, taking up a hobby – anything that lets you feel human, even if it feels like the most inhumane thing to deal with pain day-to-day.
Many people around the country deal with knee and joint pain. While the best thing to do is to consult a medical professional, going for less mainstream options like CBD creams, salves, tinctures, capsules, and edibles may help you deal with symptoms along with other treatments.
In light of how many people suffer from knee and joint pain, let’s end this article by giving you a few tips on how you can take care of your knees and having them (and you) feeling your best:
- Don’t rest too much (unless it’s what the doctor ordered). Keeping yourself active can stop your muscles from weakening, which could make the pain worse. Before doing exercise, consult with a professional about what activities are safe for your joints.
- Try CBD. If your doctor gives the okay, CBD may help you deal with symptoms of pain and inflammation.
- Be mindful of your surroundings. It goes without saying that no one wants to fall down. Apart from the embarrassment of tripping in public, try to stay away from activities that can cause falls and further cause more damage. There’s no shame in using handrails, ladders, foot stools, knee braces, canes, crutches, and additional support instead of risking a fall.
- RICE: no, not actual rice. RICE stands for rest, ice, compression, and elevation. When dealing with an arthritis flare-up or a minor injury, using the RICE method can help ease symptoms and speed up recovery.
- Consult with a doctor if you’re overweight. If your weight is causing issues with knee pain, talk to a medical professional about your options so you can live your best life, no matter what you look like.
- Find shoes that work for you. Oftentimes, certain shoes aren’t helpful when it comes to knee pain. Finding footwear or insoles that support your joints rather than making the pain worse can help you find relief.
At the end of the day, CBD isn’t a magical cure for knee and joint pain, and not even the strongest CBD will work for everyone. It is, however, a possible aid to help deal with symptoms and manage discomfort. If you currently are suffering from knee and joint pain and your doctor has OK’d you to try CBD, go through our list of products and pick one that suits your needs.
Hearst Newspapers participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may earn a commission when you purchase products featured here. Please consult your doctor before starting any new supplement to see it is right for you.