Arizona has been testing popular recreational cannabis products for safety since cannabis was legalized in the state. Unfortunately, some of these tests yielded less than positive results. Eight marijuana products were recently found to possibly be contaminated.
Arizona Department of Health Services officials announced Wednesday that dispensaries in the state are voluntarily recalling the products. They said no illnesses have been reported so far, and the move is just a precaution after Salmonella bacteria and Aspergillus fungus were detected in some samples.
Aspergillus can cause allergic reactions such as shortness of breath, coughing, fever and cold-like symptoms, often when the patient is already sick with another ailment.
Symptoms from Salmonella include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps. Some people may also have nausea, vomiting or a headache.
Arizona legalized recreational cannabis on Election Day, 2020. Under Proposition 207, adults 21 years or older can purchase and possess up to one ounce of recreational cannabis.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.